Thursday 1 December 2011

Orangutan mince pies

Thank goodness for the small shops that bring variety and genuine purchasing choice to Exeter.
I looked for mince pie mincemeat in Pinhoe's Aldi - they had one brand on offer.
I checked out Pinhoe Sainsbury's. They had their own bottle, tub and 'Taste the Difference' jar, plus Robertsons Classic and Duerrs luxury 1881.
Choice surely? 
No.  
Not one bottle or tub was free from palm oil.
BBC Panorama says this about palm oil - Orangutan survival and the shopping trolley
So I went to Magdalen Road shopping centre, where variety and choice are genuine and often local. 
Small traders still dominate and I could buy a jar of palm-oil free mincemeat. 
Last year I didn't have this problem.
Sainsbury's know about the palm-oil issue. They are trying to switch to sustainable palm-oil; so far only in their biscuits range.
But Greenpeace points out the problem of being sure whether oil that's called sustainable truely is
I don't want to feel I'm adding to the biodiversity threat to our world's forests and their inhabitants every time I eat a mince pie.
Has anyone else found a mincemeat brand that is palm-oil-free?
Please let me know if you do.

3 comments:

  1. I have experienced the same problem this year. My family react badly to Palm oil with stomach and breathing problems. I have tried Marks and Spencer, Sainsbury and Waitrose for a Palm Oil free product-but no mincemeat it seems is free from Palm oil. There is no product chice. Moreover, Palm Oil is the thick yellow cakes which were washed up on the beaches in January of last year between Sussex and Dorset - do we as a consumer really want this horrid fat lining our arteries, - a fat, moreover, which previously was only used for industrial purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got the same problem!So I will be making my own mincemeat without suet!
    Jules Levity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jules,
    glad to see there's more than two of us going to the trouble of avoiding palm oil mince-meat/pies.

    I use an old South African recipe for mince-meat, from a book my mother was given in the early 1960's.
    I've substituted vegetable 'suet' for animal fat.
    Currently have 2Kgs of mince meat maturing in the fridge :)
    Start pie-making next week.
    Hope yours turns out well.
    Moira

    ReplyDelete